Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New Hope

"Casey, this is Emily."
Emily forced a smile as she looked the pregnant woman in front of her. She was pretty but Emily's heart couldn't handle liking people anymore.
Emily zoned out easily and ignored everyone.
"Casey? She needs some one to watch her. Do you think you and Bruno could take care of her? At least for a little while?"
Only now did Emily really seem to snap back to reality. She looked between the two older women not sure how to react to any of this.
"Oh I'd love to Vixen. She can help with the babies too."
Vixen smiled, "If something happens and you can't take care of her, let me know."
Casey smiled, "Don't worry Vixen. I'm sure it will work out."
Vixen smiled and nodded before looking at Emily, "It'll be okay Em. Casey and Bruno are good people. You know where to find me if you need me."
And then she left the frightened and untrusting Emily alone with a strange new woman she had only just met.
Emily's heart was pounding as she turned to face Casey though she seemed to avoid eye contact with her entirely.
"Are you hungry?" Casey asked being friendly towards the child.
Emily looked at Casey her bright blue eyes locking onto Casey's softer blue eyes. It seemed instantaneous that Emily knew she didn't have to be afraid. At least... She didn't have to be afraid of this woman. She didn't know how she knew but she did. "I.. I guess a little.... But I'll be okay..."
"Well how about we go get a bite to eat?" Casey asked with a smile. Something about this girl was different.
"If it's not to much trouble..." Emily said softly still watching the woman with pure curiosity all signs of the thoughts of being threatened gone.
Casey smiled happily. "No trouble at all."

~Later that night~

Emily looked at the door and then back over her shoulder at the room of the people had taken her in. She sighed and left in silence. She had to go somewhere she couldn't sleep like this and she knew where she had to go as she ran silently to Nicola's old quarters.
Emily arrived to find the door partially open and Nicola gone. After walking in though, she noticed a piece of paper on the table. She picked it up with a trembling hand and read it with tear filled eyes:
Emily,
I am so sorry for hurting you this way, but I am sure you'll understand.
I'm no good for you when I am like this and I am afraid I'll hurt you badly 
when it is out of control. I don't want that to happen cuz I really do care about you.
We've both been through some shit because of what the doctors did
but you, you have more control than I have. 
I wish I had your strength.
I'll be back one day when I've learned to control my new skills,
and I hope you forgive me enough to speak to me again.
And I hope you find new friends you can trust while I am gone.
I know you are a good girl and you deserve the best.
Take care my sweet little girl.
I love you always,
Nicola
(As written by @_Nicola_M)

Emily read the letter repeatedly trying her hardest to find a good side to this all. She saw a few tear stains on the letter telling Emily immediately that Nicola had cried at one point or another when actually writing it and Emily held it close to her heart.
Without even having to think or pause, Emily curled up on the couch crying, holding the letter close to her hear.
"Emily?" A males voice called out softly from the doorway.
Emily bit back the urge to hiss at the voice and glanced up. Once her eyes landed on the figure she was glad she hadn't, "Oh Bruno... Hello sir."
Bruno smiled, "Sir isn't necessary. You can call me Bruno, or Starks."
"Yes si- I mean... Bruno." The red-head sighed trying her hardest to be a normal girl.
Bruno moved from the door way and sat beside Emily, "You know Casey is worried about you. We need to get you a comm. That will eliminate the problem next time."
Emily sighed. "I'm sorry Bruno. I couldn't sleep I just.... I knew I needed to come here." She said secretly hiding the not in her pocket.
Bruno nodded, "Well lets get you home. You can come here whenever you  want to just, next time, leave us a note."
Emily nodded and fell silent.

Shortly after this incident, the couple adopted Emily taking her into the safety and the warmth of their home. Emily's life was changing for the good but.... Somethings will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment