"Nicola! Nicola come back!" Emily cried trying to catch up with her guardian terribly frightened and worried she was going to lose Nicola. "Nic-" Emily screamed and covered her face seeing a mountain of body's all of them were torn apart and it was a horrific sight to the girl who had witnessed death for her entire life. Only now did she truly seem to realize that the thing that had lived inside of Nicola dormant for so long, the creature the scientists had made her, was slowly gaining control. She new somewhere deep down inside of her that it was only a matter of time until she too gained a risk of becoming a victim of the predator inside of her guardians mind.
"Isn't it amazing?" A voice said behind her.
Emily spun to stare at Nicola looking sick to her stomach, "N-nicola? W-what have you done?!?"
Nicola gave a deadly smirk, "A man pays me to collect hearts for him. And after I take the hearts... Well I keep a little souvenir." She showed the terrified girl a number of skulls hanging from her belt.
Emily swayed looking deathly pale and nauseous as she hid behind the other girl there, Ezzie, hoping she would protect her.
"Nicola, you have to fight this! This isn't you!" Ezzie said pleading with her.
Nicola attacked Ezzie out of cold blood, the predator making her do things she would otherwise not do. And as she did, Emily screamed and ran behind a tree to hid.
The sound of a gun being cocked seemed to resonate and echo though the trigger was not pulled, "Nicola! I don't want to have to do this." She said softly. The gun aimed at Nicola.
Nicola smirked, "Who can shoot first?" She asked arming the blaster connected to her shoulder. "Drop the gun Neeja. Don't try to play the hero."
Neeja wanted so badly to protect Ezzie and Emily but like most humans, Neeja's thoughts landed on self preservation as she dropped the gun to the ground. "Nicola calm down. Think about Emily! She still needs you. You have to stop this or you risk losing her."
Emily ran until the voices faded into a gentle hum soon the voices were to distant to hear and she seemed to fade into the darkness becoming what seemed to her as a nonexistent speck.Once she had seemed to be lost she collapsed against a tree. "She won't leave me. She said she loves me. She.... She won't leave..." But somewhere deep inside Emily knew... She knew Nicola was going to leave her even if Emily didn't want her too. And so.. She avoided going back.
~20 Minutes Later~
Unable to stay away from Nicola any longer she headed back and found to her amazement Nicola was waiting for her. "Emily, I need to talk to you."
Emily's eyes filled with tears instantly and she nodded shakily walking to her side.
Nicola gently took the girls shaking hands into her own. "Emily, I have to leave. And you need to know it's not because of you. You have done nothing wrong. But I am not good for you. Not like this I am not."
Emily clung to her, "Nicola! You can't leave me!"Nicola sighed hugging her. "Emily I can't control myself. What if I end up hurting you? Or worse?"
Emily cried, "I don't care! I'm tough enough! You can stay."
Nicola kissed her forehead, "I'll be with you Emily. Always. And I'll come back as soon as I can control my new abilities."
Emily hugged her tightly, "You better."
Nicola looked at the man she had killed recently and sighed, "I need to bury him."
Emily shivered, "I can't watch... I... I need to leave."
Emily left without a backward glance, and she felt her heart being torn from her chest and for the first time in a long time she felt so... Alone.

No comments:
Post a Comment